Friday, March 20, 2009

Painting a Tray Ceiling

I'm on a decorating roll! I'm re-decorating my son's room, and just finished the painting this week. I'm also re-doing my 13 year-old daughter's room. I'll write about those soon.

I'm making plans to re-model my master bathroom, and re-paint my bedroom while I'm at it. I still love my bedding, but the paint in my room is still the original blah builder's beige. I have a tray ceiling in my bedroom, and it has never been properly painted. It is just all ceiling white. It needs some color up there to make the architectural details stand out.


This is my ceiling.


I've been doing a little research to figure out exactly how to paint a tray ceiling. I've looked for pictures of tray ceilings, and people have done a lot of different things with theirs.

(picture from myperfectcolor)

I think the picture above has too much of the same color, in too many places.



On this ceiling, they have used an accent color on the lower layer.


This is the idea I like best. They have used the wall color on the vertical part of the tray ceiling, and used a lighter color on the horizontal spaces. I think I'm going to take it a little further, so that my mouldings really pop. I'm going to paint the walls SW Whole Wheat, then use Believable Buff, which is one shade lighter, on the vertical portion of my tray ceiling. Then I will paint the horizontal, or ceiling, areas Antique White, which is one shade lighter still. Or I may skip the Believable Buff, and just use the Whole Wheat on the walls and vertical parts of the ceiling.The mouldings will remain a nice crisp white, so that they stand out from the both the walls and ceiling color.

What do you think? Does anyone with any experience painting tray ceilings have any advice for me?

3 comments:

queenbee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think that I am leaning towards the tobacco road, just because I have seen it in so many different spaces with varying degrees of light, but I will more than likely try a sample first.

As far as your ceiling goes, I dont have any experience with tray ceilings, but I think that having the moldings pop with the white will look great. Stop by again soon.

Michelle said...

LOL! Experience with a tray ceiling? Living in a 1959 house......so no fancy ceiling. :)

It would take me forever to make a decision how to paint a ceiling like that. I can't wait to see what you choose.

Ms. Tee said...

I don't have any experience, but I agree with you - I like the last picture the best. Very pretty!