Monday, February 16, 2009

A Bedroom Re-do : Before

My son is 11, and he seems to grow overnight. His twin captain's bed just wasn't cutting it any more, and he has been begging me to get rid of the airplane theme. He did have cute airplane bedding, too, but that had already been replaced in this picture. The mural was hand painted by a friend of mine, so I'm sad to see it go.

I looked around for a new bed for him, and was drawn to black headboards. Then I remembered that we had this one in the attic. It's a hand-me-down we had in a guest bedroom before we had kids.



I was inspired by furniture makeovers I had seen on some of my favorite blogs, and decided I had nothing to lose by attempting to make this headboard what I wanted. So I sanded, primed, and painted my way to this.

Now I'm searching for the perfect paint color for the walls. Nomadic Desert or Softer Tan? I've got samples up on the walls, trying to make a decision. The window treatments will need to be replaced, and I'm thinking of painting his night stand black, too.


I'll post the after shots when I am done. In the mean time, I would love ideas of what to use as art in a pre-teen boy's room.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

Great transformation!! I bet he is so happy to have a big bed now. :)

Michelle said...

Great Job! It looks brand new.

CMB said...

You are off to a great start! As far as artwork there are many things you could do...maps are one inexpensive thing you could do. What is he in to right now?

Marcy said...

Ohh, I love the black - it looks terrific! How about some vintage sports posters (see Art.com "vintage baseball" for inspiration) or some black and white photography. I like Coco's idea of maps or how about enlargements of old postcards from your area or places he likes to visit.

Lisa Porter said...

Hi Jennifer,
First of all, how bout that Coco!
I have only known about her blog for a few days and feel as if I have known her for a while. Oh my gosh we even have the same purse!!
Anyway, i wanted to say hello and tell you that i was flattered to be listed along with you and the other new kids on the block! Your blog is darling. Love what you did with the headboard. I just did the same kind of transfomation with my 13 year old's room. Bought a sturdy antique bed for $50 and re painted with khaki and navy. i will try to send you a photo today.
Anyway, keep up the good work and stop by sometime.
all the best,Lisa

Lisa Porter said...

Jennifer,
hi , it's me again. ok i am such a dork but i don't know how to send you a picture of my son's room.
send me an email and i will email you back.
Lisa

Ms. Tee said...

What a great job you did! I'm looking for a different bed for my son, too - he has some airplane bedding we've got to replace! ;)

Karen said...

That looks awesome! Is that a full size? Em is likely to get that size rather than queen. I would put some sort of tan on the walls, how about Tobacco Road?

I will have to try that heel stuff too!

Terri said...

I love the headboard! I look forward to seeing the room completed... and more posts from you. And, don't be afraid of StoryBook Creator!! It is fun and easy, and there are so many tutorials online. Let me know if you need pointers! Blessings!!!

Julie Brooks said...

Looks FAB Jen! As for the night stand....no question! Paint that baby! =)
Isn't fantastic how you can take some 'old' furniture and give it new life with a little paint!?

Tina said...

I love it Jen!! You did a great job on it!!