Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Let There Be Light!

I have a home decor pet peeve.

My daughter and I were driving on a beautiful sunny day last week, and I noticed a house in which every window had blinds closed up tight. So she started counting, and that was the case for 25 out of 40 houses we passed on the way home.

I have blinds on most of my windows, and we do close some of them at night for privacy's sake. But I love having the natural light shine in during the day, and I open up every single blind first thing in the morning. It just seems so dark and dreary to have them shut all the time!


Just like good lighting can make such a difference in the design of a room, natural light adds so much cheer and warmth.



There’s just something about a bright, sunny room that makes it inviting and comforting. Having your blinds or curtains open to let in the natural light also gives the feeling of bringing the outdoors in and can help give the sense of more space by visually extending the room.



So open up those blinds, and let the light shine in!

2 comments:

K said...

I bet that a lot of folks keep their blinds shut, not for decorating reasons, but because they aren't engaging in the neighborhood. To me, a home with open shades is a welcoming home. I'm with you- shades open every morning!

CMB said...

This is one of my pet peeves too...the first thing I do every morning is go around and open all the blinds! I worked with a client who wanted to brighten her bedroom with new paint, fabric etc...all she really needed to do was open the blinds!