Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday


For years, I have suffered with heels that get dry and crack open. When I was younger, it would only happen in the winter. As I got older, the problem got worse and worse, and was no longer confined to winter.

This has been a horrible problem for me. It hurt. I mean really hurt, every time I took a step. Sometimes, they got so bad that it even hurt to lay my feet down on the bed. It's also incredibly unattractive when you are wearing sandals or cute flip flops in the summer.

I've tried everything to fix this problem over the years. Expensive lotions and foot creams, prescriptions, foot files, soaks . . . you name it. I even bought one of those Ped Eggs. I wouldn't recommend it.

Then, one afternoon as I was folding laundry, I just happened to hear a suggestion for this very problem on Oprah. I think the episode featured Paula Begoun, but I'm not entirely sure. I made a mental note to try her remedy for cracked heels.

I am amazed by the results. Stridex. An Acne medication. That's what finally repaired my heels for good. Just buy the Stridex pads with 2% salicylic acid. I use a foot file to quickly smooth away any rough spots, wipe my heels with the Stridex pad, then apply a layer of Aquaphor or vaseline, and put on socks for an hour or two. And the great thing is that I only have to do this once every couple of weeks to keep my feet soft!

Thank you, Oprah!

Head over to Rocks in my Dryer for more tips!

7 comments:

Traci Best said...

WOW! That is not a combination that you would think of off the top of your head! That is really interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

How long did you use this before you realized it was healing your heels? Mine are super bad right now and my endocrinologist is on my case! LOL
Traci

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Very interesting tip. I'll have to keep this in mind!

Jack said...

I am so glad you stopped by my blog because I NEED to try this little trick. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing you around Blogland!

K said...

I received a PediEgg in my stocking this year. It scares me! :-) I have awful heels too. Stridex here I come!
Blessings friend!

Michelle said...

Who knew acne pads would work for cracked heals! Great tip!

Ms. Tee said...

Wow, this is very interesting. I'll have to try this. I have awfully cracked heels in the wintertime! :)

Courtney and the Boys said...

Oh my gosh! I am SO going to try this! I hate my feet. They are always dry and crackly. The winter is the worst. Thanks for sharing! I love your blog...think I'll stick around if that's okay! Thanks for popping by my blog and leaving a comment about my nephew (with the glasses) for the I Heart Faces contest. I'm having so much fun with that site! :)

Courtney